A Boeing 747-8 aircraft gifted by Qatar’s royal family has become the center of a heated political and security debate in Washington, as the U.S. Air Force considers converting it into a new Air Force One.

The plane, reportedly offered for use by the Trump administration, has drawn sharp criticism from several senators who are raising concerns about national security, ethics, and taxpayer costs.

At a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Tuesday, Air Force Secretary Troy Meink confirmed that transforming the Qatar-donated aircraft into a secure presidential plane will require “significant modifications.”

Meink assured lawmakers that the Air Force would not compromise on security standards and pledged to notify both President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth if any threats could not be adequately addressed during the aircraft’s conversion.

Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement

Senators Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) and Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) led the criticism, warning that the deal poses serious ethical and operational risks.

Duckworth described the entire arrangement as “bizarre and disturbing,” asserting that it gives the appearance that “our commander-in-chief can be bought by an ally of Iran and Hamas.”

“Far from saving money, this unconstitutional action will not only cost our nation its dignity, but it will force taxpayers to waste over a billion dollars to overhaul this particular aircraft,” Duckworth said. “We currently have not one, but two, fully operational and fully capable Air Force One aircraft.”

Qatar-Gifted 747 Sparks Security, Ethics Concerns as U.S. Military Weighs Air Force One Conversion

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Following ongoing debates over border security and immigration policy in 2026, do you support stricter enforcement measures?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Common Defense, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

Duckworth and eight other Democratic senators have called on the Defense Department’s acting inspector general to investigate the deal.

Their concerns include the cost and timeline of modifying the aircraft to meet stringent security and counterintelligence standards.

Duckworth also sent a letter to Meink emphasizing the unique operational requirements of Air Force One, particularly its role as a flying command center capable of functioning during a national catastrophe.

“This isn’t just about ensuring presidential protection, though that is very important,” she said.

“This is about our national security and protecting all Americans from the dangers posed if the president’s sensitive communications are intercepted, or be out of contact, God forbid, with our nation’s military during a crisis.”

The Trump administration has expressed frustration with Boeing’s delays in delivering two new VC-25B Air Force One aircraft, which were initially expected last year but may not arrive until 2029.

As a result, the administration is exploring alternatives — including accepting the Qatar 747 and retrofitting it for presidential use by the end of this year.

According to reporting from ABC News, the Qatar 747 would eventually be donated to Trump’s presidential library near the end of his second term.

Critics, including former Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall, have warned that such a move could violate the Constitution’s emoluments clause and serve as a corrupt favor to Trump. Others question whether the aircraft can be adequately secured for the high-stakes role of Air Force One.

White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt pushed back on the criticisms during a Monday briefing, rejecting the claim that the aircraft gift was made to Trump personally.

She emphasized that the plane would be accepted by the United States Air Force, not the President.

“Because it is the United States Air Force that is accepting the plane, I would defer you to them to specifics, because the President, frankly, has nothing to do with it,” Leavitt said. “It’s the Air Force’s project to take on.”

Despite Leavitt’s statement, the lack of transparency and concrete details has only fueled more skepticism.

The Air Force told Defense News that it currently had no information to provide regarding the status or timeline of the plane’s retrofit.

During Tuesday’s hearing, Duckworth pressed Meink and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Allvin on whether the necessary modifications to the aircraft would indeed be substantial.

Meink initially responded that the Air Force had been ordered to modify the plane and was “postured to do so,” a statement that Duckworth sharply rebuked.

“That’s not my question,” she snapped.

Meink later clarified that the Air Force would thoroughly address the issues Duckworth raised.

“Any civilian aircraft being converted into a presidential transport aircraft would require significant upgrades,” he said.

Duckworth concluded her remarks with a stern warning that rushing to retrofit the Qatar 747 before the end of Trump’s term must not come at the expense of national security.

She also cautioned the Air Force not to let the Qatar project derail the already delayed VC-25B program.

In the coming months, the Air Force will be under intense scrutiny as it determines the feasibility — and wisdom — of accepting and converting a foreign-donated aircraft into one of the most symbolically and strategically important jets in the U.S. military arsenal.

Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.