Secretary of War Pete Hegseth acknowledged on Wednesday that some Iranian air attacks may still hit their targets, even as he asserted that U.S. military superiority is quickly gaining control of the Islamic Republic’s airspace.
The statement came as Washington released new detail on a campaign that has widened across the Middle East.
The United States has spared “no expense or capability” to enhance air defense systems to protect American forces and allies in the Middle East, Hegseth told reporters at the Pentagon days after the U.S. and Israel attacked Iran in a war that has widened throughout the region.
He added that this does not mean we can stop everything, but we ensured that the maximum possible defense and maximum possible force protection was set up before we went on offense.
Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement
Officials and commanders underscored that the fight may still involve strikes that could cause damage and harm to troops, even as air dominance remains firmly in American hands. Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters at the same briefing that the risk remains high for American troops.
He reminded the room that the risk is still high to American troops.
The conflict has already taken a toll on personnel, with six soldiers killed when an Iranian drone strike hit an operations center Sunday in the heart of a civilian port in Kuwait, more than 10 miles from the main Army base. The tragedy prompted questions about how best to defend support hubs in volatile environments.
Caine declined to answer a question about the possibility of deploying ground troops in Iran. “I’m not going to comment on U.S. boots on the ground,” Caine said. “I think that’s a question for policymakers. And I don’t make policy, I execute policy.”
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt weighed in, saying that it was “not part of the plan for this operation at this time” but noting that “I’m not going to remove an option for the president that is on the table.”
Hegseth also signaled a possible longer time frame for the conflict than has previously been floated by the administration, saying it could last eight weeks but that the U.S. has the munitions and the equipment to beat Iran in a war of attrition. He declined to set a specific time range, saying the specific duration of the war would depend on how it unfolds.
“You can say four weeks, but it could be six, it could be eight, it could be three,” Hegseth said. “Ultimately, we set the pace and the tempo. The enemy is off balance, and we’re going to keep them off balance.”
The tone suggested a campaign that would not be rushed but would not be capricious either, staying on the offensive while underlining resolve.
More forces are arriving in the region, including jet fighters and bombers, Hegseth said, and the U.S. “will take all the time we need to make sure that we succeed.” Hegseth and Caine stressed that U.S. forces have enough munitions to sustain a prolonged contest, with the defense secretary noting that the military used more advanced weapons at the start of the campaign but was switching to gravity bombs now that the U.S. has gained control of the Iranian sky.
Stockpiles of the advanced weapons remain “extremely strong,” Hegseth asserted.
Caine said U.S. attacks on Iranian missile sites and other offensive targets have been successful enough that forces can strike deeper inland, allowing for the shift from sophisticated weapons that can be launched from far away to more traditional, precision bombs dropped by aircraft.
He added that the U.S. has “sufficient precision munitions for the task at hand, both on the offense and defense.” He noted that the military would not be releasing quantities, citing operational security.
“Our air defenses and that of our allies have plenty of runway,” Hegseth said.
“We can sustain this fight easily for as long as we need to.” President Trump suggested the campaign could run for a matter of weeks but warned he was prepared “to go far longer than that” if necessary to finish the job.
The campaign’s impact on Iranian capabilities has been significant.
The number of ballistic missiles fired by Iran is down 86% from the first day of the U.S. military’s campaign, with a 23% drop in the past 24 hours, Caine said Wednesday, and Iran’s use of one way attack drones is down 73% from the opening days. The decrease could indicate that Iran is holding some weapons in reserve to prolong the conflict.
Beyond the battlefield, the administration pressed to help Americans leave the region. It abruptly advised those in 14 countries to depart immediately as airspace over much of the region grew more dangerous and flight schedules suffered.
The State Department said it has assisted nearly 6,500 Americans since the start of the war and was working to arrange charter flights or other transportation. Caine said the military has opened up available seats as military transport planes arrive “to try to help folks get out.”
The State Department said more than 17,500 Americans have returned to the United States from the Middle East since Saturday, including more than 8,500 on Tuesday alone, although the vast majority of those used commercial transportation without any government assistance.
Together, officials argued, the combination of air defenses, upgraded bases, and rapid evacuation options demonstrated resilience and resolve in an uncertain regional landscape.
Join the Discussion
COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.