War Secretary Pete Hegseth reaffirmed Tuesday that U.S. vessels and commercial shipping transiting the Strait of Hormuz can move through designated secure lanes, even as the region remains riddled with Iranian naval mines and heightened tensions.

Speaking at the Pentagon, Hegseth said restoring freedom of navigation through one of the world’s most vital waterways remains a top U.S. priority and a matter of international security.

According to the War Department, a confirmed secure corridor has been established through Omani territorial waters to protect vessels from unexploded mines and other maritime threats.

The news followed a security bulletin issued Monday by U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, warning ships to avoid the traditional traffic separation scheme due to possibly active mines still in the area.

Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement

The memo stressed that navigating “via or in close proximity to the traffic separation scheme should be considered extremely hazardous due to the presence of mines that have not been fully surveyed and mitigated.”

In response, U.S. vessels are now directed to coordinate their routes with Oman’s maritime authorities, ensuring passage through the safer southern corridor.

The Strait of Hormuz is no stranger to danger. For decades, Iranian naval mines have served as Tehran’s coercive tool to disrupt global shipping, threaten energy markets, and test Western resolve.

Despite American operations that have destroyed Iranian mine-laying vessels and storage bunkers, the regime’s arsenal remains vast. Congressional records from 2025 estimated Iran maintained a stockpile of roughly 6,000 naval mines, some likely still deployed in critical waterways.

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Following ongoing debates over border security and immigration policy in 2026, do you support stricter enforcement measures?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Common Defense, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

Hegseth, emphasizing confidence in U.S. naval capabilities, said, “Any follow-on effort if there are mines identified would be something that some of our units could undertake or the world could undertake. But right now we know we have a lane of safe passage that commercial shipping can flow through.”

His assurance signaled ongoing readiness, even as American forces adjust their posture in the region to counter mine warfare.

CENTCOM confirmed last week that U.S. forces have begun “setting conditions for clearing mines,” with operations supported by the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Frank E. Peterson and USS Michael Murphy.

These ships, equipped with advanced sonar systems and support aircraft, are central to the expanding mine-clearing effort.

The U.S. Navy continues to deploy a range of assets for mine countermeasure operations, including Avenger-class minesweepers and Independence-class littoral combat ships equipped with mine detection packages.

However, fleet positioning remains a logistical challenge. The Navy retired all four Avenger-class minesweepers previously stationed in Bahrain in 2025, which were the only such vessels home-ported in the Middle East at that time.

Currently, four remaining Avenger-class minesweepers are based in Japan, and according to Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Daryl Caudle, two are en route to the U.S. Central Command’s area of responsibility to reinforce operations.

At the 2026 Sea-Air-Space exposition, Caudle confirmed their movement as part of the broader mission to maintain open navigation routes and neutralize Iranian threats.

Three littoral combat ships equipped with mine countermeasure systems remain active in the region, though two—the USS Santa Barbara and USS Tulsa—recently departed to Singapore for scheduled maintenance.

The absence of these vessels temporarily reduces local mine-clearing capacity, further amplifying CENTCOM’s reliance on destroyers and allied naval coordination.

In addition to mine-clearing operations, U.S. Central Command has launched Project Freedom, a new mission aimed at escorting and protecting commercial shipping attempting to transit the strait.

The operation began Monday and involves direct military cooperation with allied and partner navies to prevent Iranian interference.

This initiative extends from President Trump’s firm direction that the U.S. would intercept any vessel paying Iran for passage and begin removing all threats—by force if necessary.

The blockade declared on April 12 reflects Washington’s no-nonsense approach under Trump’s leadership. American naval forces have since positioned themselves to intercept Iranian-backed vessels and any actors assisting with the illegal “toll” collection scheme.

True to form, Trump publicly declared via Truth Social that America would not allow Tehran to extort the global economy or jeopardize free navigation.

While the ceasefire between the U.S. and Iran nominally remains in place, hostilities occasionally flare.

A recent exchange involving U.S. artillery fire destroyed six Iranian small attack boats, as well as several incoming cruise missiles and drones.

These swift and decisive counterstrikes underscored the American military’s readiness to defend its forces and allies at a moment’s notice.

As the situation stabilizes, the Pentagon’s message is clear: maritime freedom is non-negotiable.

War Secretary Hegseth and his team at the War Department are determined to keep international waters open and secure, showcasing American resolve that stands as a deterrent to Iran’s aggression and a reassurance to allies and global markets alike.

Once again, U.S. leadership under President Trump affirms that the world’s most critical trade routes remain safe not because of empty diplomacy, but because of unmatched American strength at sea.

Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.