A 19-year-old former member of the Michigan Army National Guard has been arrested in connection with an alleged plot to carry out a mass shooting on behalf of the Islamic State (ISIS) at a key U.S. Army facility in suburban Detroit.

Authorities say Ammar Said, a Detroit-area resident, had spent months planning the attack and intended to have an accomplice carry out the shooting at the Tank-Automotive & Armaments Command (TACOM), a vital Army site responsible for managing the military’s ground equipment supply chain.

Unbeknownst to Said, however, the individuals he was confiding in were undercover FBI employees, who tracked his every move, gathered video and audio recordings, and obtained detailed evidence — including diagrams of the proposed target.

According to a criminal complaint filed in federal court, Said was arrested on Tuesday shortly after launching a drone to conduct surveillance of TACOM — a final reconnaissance mission before the attack he had allegedly planned was set in motion.

Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement

The FBI described Said's intent as clear and deliberate. He allegedly provided instructions for a co-conspirator to storm the facility with assault-style weapons and Molotov cocktails.

Said reportedly told one undercover agent that after the attack, he intended to fly to Syria to join ISIS.

When the operative responded that he would be “on the first plane to Syria,” Said replied, “That makes two of us,” according to court documents.

“Helping ISIS or any other terrorist organization prepare or carry out acts of violence is not only a reprehensible crime — it is a threat to our entire nation and way of life,” said U.S. Attorney Jerome Gorgon Jr., emphasizing the seriousness of the charges.

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Following ongoing debates over border security and immigration policy in 2026, do you support stricter enforcement measures?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Common Defense, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

TACOM, also known as the Detroit Arsenal, employs thousands of civilians and military personnel.

It is the only active-duty Army installation in the state of Michigan and plays a critical role in the development and delivery of military vehicles, weapons, and support equipment.

Said made his initial appearance in federal court in Detroit on Wednesday.

He faces charges of attempting to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization and distributing information related to destructive devices.

He agreed to remain in custody without bond. His court-appointed attorney, Senad Ramovic, declined to comment following the hearing.

Authorities say Said had been under surveillance for more than a year. In 2023, he reportedly expressed to an undercover agent his “longstanding desire to engage in violent jihad,” either abroad or on American soil.

The FBI said that during his service in the National Guard, Said turned over his phone to Guard personnel before boarding a military flight. A court-authorized search of the device uncovered images of ISIS flags and content glorifying jihad.

The case underscores the ongoing challenge of domestic radicalization, particularly among young Americans who may be influenced by foreign terrorist propaganda.

Though Said was still a teenager, his detailed planning and willingness to act on his beliefs raise alarming concerns about internal threats to national security.

While authorities confirmed that no attack ever took place and no one was injured, they stressed that the arrest came just in time.

“This was a credible, deliberate, and highly dangerous plot,” said an FBI spokesperson familiar with the investigation.

“Had it not been for the exceptional work of our undercover operatives and the Joint Terrorism Task Force, the results could have been devastating.”

The investigation is ongoing, and federal officials are examining whether Said had any additional contacts or outside support from known terrorist organizations.

As the war on terrorism continues to evolve in the digital age, law enforcement agencies warn that ISIS and similar groups remain active in recruiting sympathizers online, particularly targeting disillusioned or vulnerable individuals in the West.

The FBI is urging the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity, especially if they observe indications of radicalization or communications involving foreign extremist ideologies.

Said’s next court appearance has not yet been scheduled.

If convicted, he faces a lengthy prison sentence.

Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.