A U.S. Navy admiral who oversees military operations in Latin America stepped away from command Friday, handing off duties to his deputy as Congress intensifies scrutiny over deadly strikes on suspected drug boats in the region.
Adm. Alvin Holsey retired one year into a posting that typically lasts three to four years and transferred leadership duties to Air Force Lt. Gen. Evan Pettus during a ceremony at U.S. Southern Command headquarters near Miami.
In his farewell remarks, Holsey did not speak about the military operations or the reasons for his early retirement. He did, however, urge his successor to uphold long standing partnerships in the region by standing firmly behind the shared values of democracy and the rule of law. “To be a trusted partner, we must be credible, present and engaged,” Holsey said.
Holsey’s sudden retirement came with a broad backdrop of controversy. The Pentagon announced his departure in October, more than a month into the Trump administration’s strikes on suspected drug boats in the Caribbean Sea and the eastern Pacific Ocean, a campaign that has now been associated with at least 87 deaths.
Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement
The administration has faced increasing congressional scrutiny, and Holsey briefed key lawmakers earlier this week.

There is no immediate replacement named for Holsey. The Friday ceremony was markedly subdued, held outdoors with a small audience of Southern Command personnel and without Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, as the president has yet to nominate Holsey’s successor.
Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, thanked Holsey for his 37 years of service. He described him as a “stoic” leader and a “quiet professional” who always leads with both heart and head.
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
“It’s never been about you, it’s been about people, it’s been about others,” Caine said. “You’ve never said ‘I’ in all the conversations we’ve had. You’ve always said ‘we.’ … The impact you’ve had will last for a long time.”
Holsey’s departure coincides with heightened congressional attention to the boat attacks. Lawmakers have pressed for clarity on the legality and scope of the operations, especially after a strike that killed two survivors clinging to wreckage.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Hegseth and other top officials have conducted classified briefings on Capitol Hill, and Holsey himself spoke to key lawmakers overseeing the U.S. military by classified video call this week.
Senator Jack Reed, the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, stated that Holsey answered questions but that “there are still many questions to be answered.” Reed added that Holsey did not provide a reason for retirement beyond describing it as a personal decision.

Advocates of a robust hard‑line posture against drug trafficking in the region have argued that a bold approach is necessary. The campaign has drawn on a large fleet, including numerous warships, attack helicopters, thousands of troops and the nation’s most advanced aircraft carriers.
The administration has designated several drug cartels in Latin America as foreign terrorist organizations, arguing that the United States is in armed conflict with these criminal enterprises. The legal justification rests on a post 9/11 framework that the administration has repeatedly cited as a basis for preserving U.S. security at sea.
The operations have also focused attention on Maduro’s regime in Venezuela. The United States recently seized a sanctioned oil tanker alleging illicit crude sales, a move that the administration says deprives Maduro of a crucial revenue stream. Maduro contends that the real objective of the military actions is regime change, a claim that adds fuel to the political fire surrounding the campaign.

Holsey’s background reflects a deep military lineage. A Fort Valley, Georgia native, he grew up in a family with generations of service, and his retirement marks yet another shift at the highest levels of command since Hegseth assumed control at the Pentagon.
Pettus, Holsey’s long-time deputy since late 2024, is a former fighter jet pilot with combat experience in Afghanistan and Iraq. He is an Arkansas native whose time in the role will depend on the Senate’s confirmation process, with the ultimate decision resting with the president.
The ceremony closed with a personal moment as Pettus accepted command to the notes of a soulful rendition of Midnight Train to Georgia, signaling not only a transfer of responsibility but also a passing of the baton to someone trusted to push this policy line forward.
The questions about the scope and legality of the strikes will continue to drive Washington’s deliberations, even as the administration presses ahead with a hard strategy against narcotics networks believed to threaten regional stability.
Join the Discussion
COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.