Three U.S. Air Force F-15Es were shot down Sunday by Kuwaiti air defenses in what CENTCOM described as a friendly fire incident.

All six aircrew ejected safely and were recovered in stable condition.

CENTCOM stated that Kuwait acknowledged the incident and officials thanked the Kuwaiti defense forces for their support in the ongoing operation. The release emphasized that there is an active investigation into the events surrounding the downing.

The incident occurred as part of a broader campaign described as Operation Epic Fury, aimed at Iran’s security apparatus.

Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement

CENTCOM said the operation began Saturday at 1:15 a.m. and targeted locations including Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps command and control facilities, Iranian air defense capabilities, missile and drone launch sites, and military airfields.

Among the sites reported to have been targeted was the compound of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

A senior Israeli official told Reuters that Khamenei was killed in the strike, a claim that was later echoed by former President Trump in a Truth Social post. The statements raised questions about the accuracy and timing of information in a rapidly evolving conflict.

Three U.S. service members have been killed in action during these combat operations, CENTCOM announced Sunday, with five more listed as seriously wounded.

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Following ongoing debates over border security and immigration policy in 2026, do you support stricter enforcement measures?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Common Defense, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

The toll underscores the human cost of the campaign as fighting and retaliatory strikes continue to unfold across the region.

Former Thunderbirds Pilot Nicole Malachowski’s Battle with Tick-Borne Illness and the Military System
Image Credit: DoW
Retired Col. Nicole Malachowski is on a mission to advocate for tick-borne illness awareness and prevention in the military. Here, Malachowski, while holding the rank of lieutenant colonel, conducts preflight inspections in an F-15E Strike Eagle in May 2013. (A1C John Nieves Camacho/U.S. Air Force)

Iran responded to the initial strikes with intensified attacks against multinational bases and civilian infrastructure, according to regional officials.

The Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry condemned Iran’s strikes as unjustified, stressing that they endangered civilians and damaged civilian infrastructure.

In a joint statement, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, and the United States condemned Iran’s missile and drone attacks against sovereign territories.

Iranian officials and independent observers have offered varying casualty figures.

The Iranian Red Crescent Society said at least 555 people in Iran had been killed and more than 130 cities had been hit, though independent verification of these numbers was not available.

Analysts cautioned that casualty figures in such fast-moving episodes can be disputed and subject to change as information becomes available.

As the investigation into the Kuwaiti friendly fire incident continues, defense and diplomatic leaders stressed the importance of careful coordination and accurate targeting in all phases of the operation.

Officials indicated that lessons learned would inform future actions and procedures in complex theater environments.

At the same time, regional stability hangs in the balance as both sides reassess risks and strategies.

The United States and its partners have emphasized the objective of degrading Iran’s military capabilities while avoiding unnecessary escalation, though the volatile environment makes measured responses essential.

In the days ahead, coalition spokespeople expect ongoing briefings to clarify the scope and outcomes of the strikes, as well as any changes to posture or rules of engagement.

Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.