U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents will soon work alongside base security personnel at three Marine Corps installations as part of a pilot program aimed at preventing foreign nationals from unlawfully accessing these military facilities.
The program was officially announced by officials at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California, on May 16.
The initiative, which will also be implemented at Marine Corps bases in Quantico and Hawaii, is designed to enhance the security of military installations and improve identity verification processes at entry points.
"Marine and family readiness start at our bases and stations, and the safety and security of our Marines, sailors, family members, civilian employees, and all who work and have proper access to Marine Corps installations are of the utmost importance," said Capt. Kevin Uebelhardt, a spokesperson for Headquarters Marine Corps, in an email statement.
Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement
This statement underscores the high priority placed on ensuring that only authorized personnel can access these sensitive sites, which house military operations and personnel.
The inclusion of CBP agents, specifically from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), will support base security by assisting with identity verification and gate screening.
This new initiative is part of an ongoing effort to enhance safety measures at U.S. military installations.
The release stated that most instances of unauthorized access to military bases are unintentional, often resulting from confusion over GPS directions.
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
However, some of these incidents are considered potential security risks, and therefore, the added support from ICE agents is seen as a proactive step in addressing any potential threats.

Officials at Camp Pendleton, one of the largest Marine Corps bases in the U.S., did not disclose any specific instances of unauthorized access or provide details about the individuals who gained unlawful entry in recent years.
However, a 2023 report from The Wall Street Journal shed light on the issue.
According to the news outlet, Chinese nationals had accessed U.S. military facilities approximately 100 times over several years, although the report did not specify the exact nature of these incidents.
The information was sourced from unnamed officials familiar with the matter.
Despite the potential security concerns, 2nd Lt. Anna Hornick, a spokesperson for Camp Pendleton, assured Military.com that there had been no negative impact on military personnel, civilians, or dependents. "There is no impact on military or civilian personnel, dependents, or those lawfully entering our military installation," Hornick stated.
She did acknowledge that the cooperation with ICE may lead to slightly longer processing times at entry points. However, she emphasized that day-to-day operations on base would remain unchanged for those with proper access.
This collaborative effort between the Marine Corps and ICE is being evaluated for its effectiveness and potential for expansion.
The program may serve as a model for other installations, particularly those located near border regions, ports of entry, or critical infrastructure corridors.
According to the release, the success of the pilot program at Camp Pendleton, Quantico, and Hawaii could lead to its implementation at other military installations across the U.S.
Uebelhardt emphasized that the collaboration with ICE was not prompted by a specific security incident but is part of the Marine Corps' ongoing effort to enhance security across its installations.
"This effort is part of an ongoing effort to constantly improve our security posture to protect our most valued resource: our people," he said.
He also highlighted the longstanding cooperation between military law enforcement and ICE, which dates back to the establishment of the Department of Homeland Security.
"Cooperation between installation law enforcement and ICE continues a history of teamwork that dates back to the establishment of [the Department of Homeland Security]," Uebelhardt said.
This partnership reinforces the commitment to safeguarding military personnel and facilities from potential threats while maintaining the integrity of operations at U.S. military bases.
The new pilot program, while focused on enhancing security at specific Marine Corps bases, reflects broader efforts within the U.S. military to modernize its approach to base security.
The increasing complexity of global security threats has necessitated new strategies to safeguard sensitive military operations, and the cooperation with ICE is just one example of how the military is adapting to these challenges.
As the program progresses, it will likely continue to be evaluated for its effectiveness in balancing security concerns with operational efficiency.
If successful, it may become a standard practice across additional installations, ensuring that U.S. military personnel and their families remain safe from external threats.
Join the Discussion
COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.