Two U.S. Army soldiers deployed in support of Operation Inherent Resolve have died in separate non-combat incidents in the Middle East, the Department of War confirmed on Wednesday.
The incidents, both under investigation, took place in Iraq and Kuwait earlier this week and have prompted outpourings of grief from military leaders and fellow service members.
The first soldier, Staff Sgt. Saul Fabian Gonzalez, 26, of Pullman, Michigan, died Tuesday in Erbil, Iraq.
Gonzalez was serving as an Apache helicopter mechanic with D Troop, 2nd Squadron, 101st Combat Aviation Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), based out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement
Col. Tyler Partridge, commander of the 101st Combat Aviation Brigade, honored Gonzalez’s dedication and sacrifice in a statement issued Wednesday.
“The 101st CAB mourns the loss of Staff Sergeant Gonzalez,” Partridge said.
“His journey with the 101st, from Private to Non-Commissioned Officer was one of commitment, grit, and honor. His service will forever be etched in our memories, and his legacy will ride on with the spirit of the Cavalry in the hearts of all who served alongside him.”
Gonzalez enlisted in the Army in February 2018 and was assigned to Fort Campbell later that same year, in October.
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
During his service, he earned numerous awards, including the Army Commendation Medal with a “C” device, the Army Achievement Medal with six oak leaf clusters, the National Defense Service Medal, and the Army Aviation Badge.

His record reflected a soldier committed not only to technical excellence in aviation maintenance but also to leadership and continuous professional development.
Just two days earlier, Sgt. 1st Class Emmett Wilfred Goodridge Jr., 40, of Roseville, Minnesota, died in a separate non-combat incident at Camp Buehring, Kuwait. Goodridge was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, stationed at Fort Drum, New York.
The 10th Mountain Division released a statement expressing deep sorrow at the loss of the veteran soldier.
“It is with deep sorrow that we acknowledge the passing of Sgt. 1st Class Goodridge. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and fellow Soldiers,” said Maj. Geoffrey A. Carmichael of the 10th Mountain Division.
“The 1st Brigade Combat Team and 10th Mountain Division are providing support to his family and unit, and we are fully cooperating with the ongoing investigation.”
Goodridge was a highly accomplished soldier, having completed three combat deployments.
He was Ranger qualified and had earned the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Expert Infantryman Badge, the Parachutist Badge, and the Air Assault Badge.
His long list of achievements and qualifications marks a career steeped in experience, tactical proficiency, and leadership.
While the Department of War has not yet released details on the nature of either soldier’s death, both cases are under investigation.
Non-combat-related fatalities can include a variety of causes, such as illness, accidents, or other unforeseen incidents. The military routinely conducts thorough investigations in such cases to determine cause and circumstances.
MORE NEWS: Army Abruptly Scraps Deployment of 4,000 Troops to Poland Amid Chaos and Budget Shortfall
Operation Inherent Resolve, the U.S.-led mission to defeat ISIS in Iraq and Syria, continues to involve a range of service members across multiple locations.
While the majority of U.S. personnel serve in support roles — such as logistics, training, and aviation maintenance — the risks of deployment remain, regardless of combat involvement.
Both Gonzalez and Goodridge leave behind legacies of service, sacrifice, and dedication.
Their loss is a reminder of the dangers American troops face even outside of direct combat operations and underscores the heavy burden borne by military families and communities.
Military personnel, chaplains, and grief counselors have been made available to units impacted by the losses.
Tributes and condolences from fellow service members are already pouring in through official channels and social media, highlighting the impact both soldiers had on their teams and commands.
As investigations continue, their families are being supported by their respective commands, ensuring they receive the care, respect, and information they need during this difficult time.
Funeral and memorial service arrangements have not yet been announced.
The military community, both at home and abroad, is mourning these losses and honoring the commitment and valor shown by Staff Sgt. Saul Fabian Gonzalez and Sgt. 1st Class Emmett Wilfred Goodridge Jr.
Join the Discussion
COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.