In a decisive move that underscores a renewed focus on military readiness and traditional values, Secretary of War Pete Hegseth has withdrawn the promotion of Rear Admiral Michael “Buzz” Donnelly, following revelations of drag shows occurring under his command aboard a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier.

Rear Adm. Donnelly, a seasoned officer and one-time commander of the USS Ronald Reagan, was slated to assume command of the 7th Fleet—the Navy’s largest forward-deployed fleet covering vital regions in the Indo-Pacific.

His nomination, made on June 18, was promptly withdrawn after a recent exposé by The Daily Wire revealed that drag performances had been allowed under his watch between 2016 and 2018.

“The Secretary is thankful for his continued service and wishes him luck in his next position,” a senior defense official told Military Times. “The Department will open up nominations for the 7th fleet commander.”

Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement

While the Pentagon has remained silent on whether the Daily Wire report directly prompted the decision, the timing leaves little doubt.

Hegseth Revokes Promotion for Navy Admiral Who Approved Drag Shows
Image Credit: DoW

Under a Trump-aligned leadership team that prioritizes discipline, mission focus, and restoring faith in the military’s core principles, tolerance for politicized performances has evaporated.

The events in question stem from when Donnelly commanded the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan.

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Following ongoing debates over border security and immigration policy in 2026, do you support stricter enforcement measures?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Common Defense, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

During this period, Yeoman 2nd Class Joshua Kelley—who performs under the stage name “Harpy Daniels”—was reportedly featured in multiple drag shows organized by the ship’s Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) team.

These events were meant to boost troop morale but instead ignited controversy within military and civilian circles.

Kelley, who joined the Navy in 2016, gained notoriety after winning second place in a lip sync competition in 2018, earning a $1,000 Navy Exchange card.

His social media presence and outspoken political views have since drawn sharp criticism.

Now stationed aboard the USS Bulkeley in Spain, Kelley has become a lightning rod in the debate over military culture, standards, and partisanship.

In 2023, conservative legal advocacy group America First Legal issued a formal complaint against Kelley, citing violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

The organization alleged that his “obscene social media posts,” partisan political endorsements, and apparent disdain for President Trump constituted a discredit to the armed forces.

“In order to preserve the Navy’s reputation, swift action must be taken to restore good order and discipline and to prevent further partisan activity that implies Navy endorsement of particular candidates and causes,” said America First Legal attorney Jacob Meckler.

“America First Legal will not stand by and allow Kelley to sacrifice the military’s reputation in pursuit of his own partisan agenda.”

The decision to rescind Donnelly’s promotion sends a clear message: under Secretary Hegseth, the Department of War is turning away from distractions that undermine the integrity of the armed forces.

Instead, there’s a renewed emphasis on leadership accountability, discipline, and keeping the military focused on its primary mission—defending the nation.

This change in tone aligns with President Trump’s broader vision for the military, one that seeks to eliminate what he and many of his supporters see as a culture of “wokeness” seeping into America’s fighting forces.

The Trump-Hegseth approach places values like strength, unity, and mission readiness above experimental agendas or social experiments.

Critics may attempt to portray the withdrawal of Donnelly’s nomination as controversial or politically motivated.

But for a growing number of Americans—and especially those who serve or have served—the move reflects a long-overdue course correction.

The military’s credibility, many argue, depends on fostering an environment rooted in professionalism and cohesion, not identity politics.

With new leadership being sought for the prestigious 7th Fleet post, it remains to be seen who will step into the role.

What’s certain is that under Hegseth’s watch, there’s no room for ambiguity when it comes to the standards expected of military leaders.

As global threats continue to rise and America’s adversaries grow bolder, the last thing the military can afford is internal distractions that erode public trust or troop focus.

Hegseth’s decision is not just about a single admiral or a few shipboard performances—it’s about the future trajectory of the U.S. military itself.

And for those who still believe in a strong, focused, and unapologetically American military, that future is finally starting to look a lot brighter.

Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.