In a swift reversal, the Trump administration has resumed sending key weapons to Ukraine after a brief and unexpected pause ordered by the Pentagon last week.

U.S. officials confirmed Wednesday that shipments, including critical 155mm artillery rounds and precision-guided rockets known as GMLRS, are once again on the move to Ukraine.

The pause, directed by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, came as a surprise to many — including the White House, Ukrainian officials, and other key U.S. allies.

The Pentagon cited the need to assess its weapons stockpiles as the reason for halting some deliveries.

Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement

However, the move led to confusion and concern at a time when Ukraine continues to face escalating attacks from Russia.

Two U.S. officials, speaking anonymously to The Associated Press, confirmed the resumed deliveries but did not specify exactly when the shipments restarted.

The weapons now en route are part of a larger arsenal that had been affected by the pause, which included Patriot missiles, Hellfire missiles, Howitzer rounds, and other key munitions.

The temporary halt sparked confusion even within the administration. President Donald Trump, who has publicly committed to supporting Ukraine with defensive aid, appeared unaware of the initial decision.

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Following ongoing debates over border security and immigration policy in 2026, do you support stricter enforcement measures?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Common Defense, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

“I would know if a decision is made. I will know,” Trump said Wednesday.

“I will be the first to know. In fact, most likely I’d give the order, but I haven’t done that yet.” When pressed the day before on who ordered the pause, he deflected: “I don’t know. Why don’t you tell me?”

Behind closed doors, Trump has reportedly expressed frustration that the Pentagon’s announcement caught the White House off guard and wasn’t better coordinated.

According to three individuals familiar with the situation, Trump felt the move should have been communicated more clearly to the administration’s senior officials.

U.S. Resumes Weapons Deliveries to Ukraine After Brief Pentagon Pause
Image Credit: DoW
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth meets with Ukrainian Defense Minister Rustem Umerov at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Feb. 12, 2025.

The Pentagon, however, has pushed back on claims that the order lacked coordination.

“Secretary Hegseth provided a framework for the President to evaluate military aid shipments and assess existing stockpiles. This effort was coordinated across government,” the Department of War said in a statement.

President Trump clarified his stance on Tuesday, during a Cabinet meeting, emphasizing that Russia’s actions necessitated continued U.S. support for Ukraine.

“Putin is not, he’s not treating human beings right,” Trump said. “It’s killing too many people. So we’re sending some defensive weapons to Ukraine, and I’ve approved that.”

The renewed weapons shipments come amid a fresh wave of intensified Russian attacks.

Ukrainian officials reported Wednesday that Russia had launched the highest number of drones in a single night since the start of the war over three years ago.

Among the weapons resumed are 155mm artillery rounds — a cornerstone of Ukraine’s defensive operations.

Each round is approximately two feet long, weighs 100 pounds, and is used in Howitzer systems, which allow forces to strike enemy targets from distances up to 15 to 20 miles.

These rounds have become some of the most-used munitions in the ongoing war.

Since Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the United States has provided more than 3 million 155mm artillery rounds to Ukraine.

Overall, U.S. military and weapons aid to the country has exceeded $67 billion during that period.

Uncertainty still surrounds the future of Patriot missile deliveries. Valued at $4 million each, these advanced systems are in extremely high demand.

Their importance was recently underscored when a U.S. air base in Qatar successfully used Patriot systems to repel a ballistic missile attack launched by Iran, following U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.

Despite some lingering ambiguity over specific components of the aid package, the Biden administration appears determined to continue arming Ukraine in its defense against Russian aggression.

The resumed shipments signal a return to a more predictable flow of military support — at least for now.

As the war continues and pressure mounts on all sides, officials will likely face increased scrutiny over how such critical decisions are made and communicated.

The brief but disruptive pause has highlighted not only the urgency of the situation on the ground in Ukraine but also the importance of clear and coordinated decision-making within the U.S. government.

Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.