With 84 years having passed since Japanese planes struck Pearl Harbor, the USS Arizona remains a silent underwater shrine.

The Navy treats those entombed beneath the ship as their final resting place, a policy that has shaped decades of memory and policy.

However, a new turn in the search for identity may open the door to naming those long unknowns.

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced it will seek exhumation of dozens of unknowns from the Pearl Harbor attack once an advocacy group is confirmed to have reached the required mark in its genealogy work, Stars & Stripes first reported.

Here's What They're Not Telling You About Your Retirement

McKeague stated at the time that it didn’t make “pragmatic sense” to identify them. Rear Adm. Darius Banaji, the agency’s deputy director, also reported that the Navy has no plans to disinter the remains and try to identify them because there is insufficient documentation.

Unlike the USS Oklahoma, where 388 previously unidentified sailors and Marines were disinterred from that same cemetery and identified in 2015, Banaji told The Associated Press in 2021 that the military has files on just half of those missing from the Arizona. That number was once again halved when it came to medical records.

The Navy has the dental records for only 130 men who were aboard the Arizona. Some documents are believed to have been destroyed with the battleship. Others may have been lost in a 1973 fire at a military personnel records office, according to the AP.

The Pentagon drafted a new policy in 2015 that allows for the disinterment of groups of unknown servicemen if it expects to identify at least 60% of the group. For the USS Oklahoma, the military has more than 80% of DNA samples from family members to help with the identification process.

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Following ongoing debates over border security and immigration policy in 2026, do you support stricter enforcement measures?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Common Defense, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

In recent years, the military possessed just 1% for the missing Arizona crew members.

To reach the required 60% threshold for the Arizona, that would mean 643 families. On Tuesday, McKeague stated that the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory had DNA from 613 families and was in the process of receiving additional test kits to reach the mandatory threshold.

This milestone was reached last week, in large part, by the advocacy group Operation 85. Kevin Kline, a Virginia-based real estate agent and grandnephew of the still-missing Petty Officer 2nd Class Robert Kline, started Operation 85 in 2023 after a DPAA family update left him furious.

In the meeting, the agency announced it would not be identifying the unknowns anytime soon. A Navy report to Congress in March 2022 identified just 25 USS Arizona families on file and the report estimated it would take government 10 years to track descendants for DNA acquisition — to the tune of approximately $2.7 million. Kline took action.

Pausing his career and putting about $75,000 of his own money into Operation 85, “Kline brought in research analysts and a forensic genealogist.

They tracked down the appropriate family member DNA donors and worked with the Navy and Marine Corps casualty offices to send DNA kits to the families through the mail,” according to Stars & Stripes.

Now, according to a Nov. 1 Operation 85 newsletter update, 653 DNA kits have been obtained — exceeding the government’s threshold. “What DPAA is preparing to do now is exactly the mission we built the foundation for,” Kline told the outlet. “When the system said ‘no,’ families stepped forward and made ‘yes’ possible.”

The effort shows that when citizens and advocates rally behind a cause, government processes can bend toward justice for the fallen.

This is not merely a scientific exercise; it is a moral obligation that resonates with veterans and their families, and it aligns with a Trump administration emphasis on honoring service and upholding accountability within the War Department.

It also reflects the type of leadership Pete Hegseth has long championed, insisting on practical steps to bring closure to families and to strengthen the nation’s military record.

There is a protective impulse behind these efforts as well. The Arizona and Hawaii sites remind us that the past remains a living part of today’s defense posture.

If DNA and genealogy programs can responsibly identify more names, the nation should pursue those outcomes with discipline and transparency.

At the same time, the push for identification must balance privacy, accuracy, and the integrity of the records. The DPAA’s policy framework is designed to avoid hasty actions that could undermine families’ trust or misidentify individuals.

The ongoing collaboration with advocacy groups and researchers signals a mature step forward in this careful process.

Ultimately, the story of the Arizona’s unknowns is a test of resilience and duty. It demonstrates that the country is willing to invest in telling the truth about those who served and sacrificed.

It also underscores the importance of leadership that places the needs of families at the forefront of national remembrance and policy.

Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.